Sunday, November 15, 2015

When I Grow Up...

Women's libbers beware because the following images may will be unsettling:
 I LOVE the picture below.  I look so haggard, plain and drab in my mousy gray dress, but I am definitely SMILING.  Many days actually are like that (minus the fact I've never owned an ugly gray dress), so at least little Marianne was keeping it real.
What more can I say?  This is from an All About Me Book which we made in 2nd grade.  Oh how I loved and admired the beautiful Mrs. McAdams!  My 8-year-old heart wanted to be part of a big happy family when I grew up, more than anything else.  As I got a little older, teachers (and me) encouraged me to come up with other options because housewife (yikes!) wasn't actually factually a career option.  I strongly favored artist and author for a few years.  Then I got really serious about school; realized boys were no good/untrustworthy/smelly/fickle (sorry, Sweetie and sons, but...).  At that point, I would ask my dad and mom to let me go to career fairs, and I just really wanted to figure out what I should be when I grew up.  Ha!  Like any of us really, REALLY figure that out for a long time...most of us, at least.

Fast forward several years and here I am, "married and have children."  I'm not sure what I found appealing about being a housewife back then, but the part I struggle with now is housekeeping...with 5 cleanliness irresponsible (hey, that's a thing) children...a full time job (which FYI is not my dream - I can never think of it as my career even though I'm going on 12 years of it)...constant tiredness, and, oh yeah, the rest of life.  I am trying very hard to teach my children cleaning tasks and schedules and organization because it is definitely something I had to pick up along the way on my own and am still trying to figure out.  They balk at any such far-fetched ideas, but I'm not giving up.  Disorganization and dirtiness bite, despite what they may think.  I have tried so many different cleaning ideas/routines from Pinterest.  I have learned only a few things that really, really work for me, but no one who spouts off all these brilliant lists and plans and ideas has my exact same situation, so onward goes my search for something that works.

I won't give up.  A clean house, organization, art, craft, fun, it changes the whole mood of a house.  It is the difference between cranky, frustrated moms and dads, family-wide Lego injuries, and all sorts of unpleasantness (not to mention the humiliation when guests surprise you) OR getting that inexplicable energy, positive spirit and joy that comes from knowing where everything is, loving how it looks and wanting to invite people into your home to enjoy all those good feelings with you.  Elusive, but I have to faith, like with everything else, I will get where I need to be, slower than I want to get there, but I will get there.  And maybe then that poor little housewife pictured above will get healthier looking eyes and a new outfit and rock this house with her dazzling smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment