Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Melody, The Harmony, The Rhythm

As I was driving the S-Man to preschool, DG and Shawn started to click their tongues to the sound the turn signal was making.  The clicking was interspersed with their giggles.  I thought about how much I love so many sounds my kids make.  The sound of first words, the sound of mama (although hard to hear yelled loudly and repetitively at 6:30 a.m.), quietly singing or humming to themselves, the giggles and laughs, the screams of playing children without a care in the world, sweet I Love You's, teaching each other things, talking about what is important to them, what they want to know, what they are worried and scared about.  I love to hear all the knowledge contained in Matt's and Ben's brains.  I love to hear Lily (muffled and pretty much understandable) as she talks and talks while I'm working, with my headphones, knowing full well I probably can't hear her but desperately wanting to still share.  Thank goodness she normally wins out and I stop for a minute to hear what she is actually saying.  It has been this way since she was 2 years old.  Shawn asks me about 5 times a day, "What day is it?"  And he asks me a lot of questions that he clearly knows the answers to, yet he stills asks...maybe because he just loves to talk?  Daph's screams may make all within range cringe as their tympanic membranes die a little, but she has the funniest laugh when you tickle her or chase her.  She sings to herself more than any of the other kids did when they were little.  Do-do-doooo!  Yes, I love their singing and playing and talking and learning all the cool sounds and words and noises they can make with their mouths...and don't even get me started on how much I love having the actual music they create with piano played in this house.

So often I am overwhelmed...which is clearly demonstrated on this blog.  I kind of have a spunky, adventurous, wanderlust part of me that stays hidden to the outside world.  Thus, I can let the rhythm of the mundane day to day drag me down, but noticing all the little not-mundane details of what seems like a boring Groundhog Day repeat but really actually factually totally is anything but ordinary makes the music of my life sound pretty lively after all.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. Hey, I can remember asking Dad question after question when I was little just because I loved being with him so much and wanted to be even closer. Sometimes it would finally drive him to make an annoyed comment which would hurt my feelings...even though I knew I was asking unnecessary stuff. Sounds
    Like Shawn, huh?��

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I think is going on!

    ReplyDelete