Saturday, January 12, 2013

Simple Truth Saturday

I'll be brief today.  Our work platforms were down all of yesterday which is apparently "unprecedented" so I have to be working all day until dinner time, but I wanted to share a little thought.  I "get" to speak in church tomorrow, and being the anti-public speaking type that I am, I am VERY nervous but at least I get to choose my topic.  I chose what I've been thinking about for a long time, which is being a more christian Christian, being a true follower of Christ.

If I really think about what that means, treating others as Christ would treat them, I have miles to go.  When I am thinking about this, suddenly I want to lower my voice, gently place my kids in their car seats and talking nicely as I buckle them, rather than yelling Hurry! Hurry! as I plunk them in.  I had an experience which I think is amazing about 2 weeks ago:

-Preface:  I'm a cheapo and have no problem with hair experimentation because A:  It grows back and B: I've never had a haircut I was desperately in love with that I had to have reciprocated or I would die.

I went to a beauty college to get my hair cut on a whim and the receptionist had be wait for a guy.  I realized as I was waiting that a man has never cut my hair before, funny.  Anyway, he introduced himself and shook my hand.  Now, this young man had sort of turquoise and blond hair, a bandanna headband tied around making it stand up on end.  He had those rivet-like earrings which look painful to me, and a lip piercing, arms covered in tattoos.  His clothing wasn't exactly professional, but, above all, he was super nice.  He proceeded to be friendly, not too chatty which too chatty makes me nervous so that was perfect.  He was really excited about what he was doing, beauty college.  He said he likes to help people.  He had gone to trade school and learned HVAC, electrical, drywalling, etc., but wanted to try this now instead for more face to face interaction.  He taught me about the proper way to shampoo and condition and was WAY excited about giving me a shampoo and scalp massage (not in a disturbing way BTW).  Now, as he was a student, it took him A LONG TIME to cut my hair, but he worked hard at it and made me feel comfortable and relaxed, so I didn't mind.  As I was chatting with him during the haircut, I thought about my first impression of him:  This dude is messed up, looks a little wild, probably does drugs.  Then I thought about how I was wanting to be more like Christ and that all of that wouldn't matter 1 wit to Him.  Suddenly, I felt these feelings for this young man that had to have been a portion of what the Savior felt for him.  I knew this boy was loved very much by Jesus.  I knew that Christ knew this boy had a good heart and that he had probably been treated crappy by a lot of people for being different.  I knew that a boy like this wasn't a bad person at all and that he needed friendship and love.  Above all, though, I just felt he was very loved.  I didn't mention anything to the guy, because who wants to creep out a nice person, but I can't forget those feelings, and it was an honor to feel a little of what the Savior felt for him.  I wonder how often that would happen and how differently I would think and act if paused, took a breath and remembered to look at people as the Savior would more often.  Just as I've been studying and trying to do it a little bit, I am reminded every so often of what He would be doing versus what I am doing, and I would love for those 2 things to line up a lot more and not be so in congruent.  One day at I time, I have faith if I try I can get there.

Is there something you can do to be more like Christ this week?  As a friend, a neighbor, a mother, a father, a son or daughter, a passerby?

No comments:

Post a Comment