Thursday, January 3, 2013

Out With the Old

Today has been a bit of one of those days.  For work I've had tech issues which the lovely tech guys didn't resolve and didn't resolve, and then, finally, today a blessed FEMALE tech person called and fixed the problem in a snap.  But then, then, I got a call from my supervisor.  I have to switch teams, and though I embrace some forms of change, a new baby, a road trip, change of seasons, I hate work changes.  I always end up adapting before too long, but the part where I feel like I am barely treading water (which coincidentally I haven't managed to figure out how to do) is really aggravating.  Therefore, I feel cranky.  I will have to learn the personality of a new boss, learn all the new protocols and keyboard commands for a different platform, and learn several new accounts, all while managing 2 busy little boys (4 kids on Saturday), and it makes me feel close to tears.  I've done each of those things several times before in this "career" of mine, but I've never had to do all of them at once, thus the crankiness.

In honor of celebrating the old before I embrace the new, just a few more random things to share.  You have no idea how much I am enjoying sharing random.  Too bad I plan on being orderly next week...not too orderly though-I truly excel at random. :)

This here (see how I can sound all intellectual even when I'm down in the dumps) is my 2000 Dodge Caravan.  When YW used to ride in it they marveled at no power windows, the sliding door on 1 side only, no remote entry, and no personal air/temperature controls.  It also has no power locks and no cruise control and a tape deck...oh, and no hubcap on the front passenger side in case you didn't notice.  This puppy has been with us since before The Eldest was born.  In fact, we purchased it because my little Pontiac Le Mans was not going to work as a family car.  It is not a thing of beauty but has been highly functional.  I always tell Luke I will be driving it until I run it into the ground which may be soon but I am dearly hoping a student loan or 2 can go bye-bye before we have to buy a newer car.

This is a new to us but EXTREMELY old piano.  It's had a rough life but can hold a tune, so hurrah for it.  The Eldest has started piano lessons, and I am so happy to have a piano in our home.

This lovely chest is perhaps not super old, but I hope it will stay in my family and become old and cherished by my kids and theirs.  My dad bought each of his kids one of these because a daughter or 2 was being very persistent about him making them a hope chest.  Instead, he saw these on the Oregon Coast, which is a place near and dear to us, and we each got a different 1.  I love it and have filled it with keepsakes.

Yes, an old dress, oldish, not antique, just about 14+ years old.  It was given to me by my sister who looked quite cute in it, but this dress is made for a smallish chested maiden (I very much fit that description), and so it has become mine for many years.  Whenever I am not with child or nursing said child, I like to wear this dress and feel slimmish.  I started to think it was getting too old when I wore it to my dad's wedding this last October, but then my uncle, who I hadn't seen since my wedding, told me, "Well, you've grown into a tall, willowy thing, haven't you?" while I was wearing this dress, so I'm probably keeping it forever because if it can make me (not willowy and only a little tall) look willowy and tall, then it's a keeper.  Best compliment ever!

China.  I'm old fashioned because I love the concept of having china.  It came to me in sad circumstances, but I have many happy memories involving it.  I love it very much and am taking good care of it.

Sad old bear.  This is probably the oldest thing I own, except for 1 or 2 books.  He is a mangy thing with nails or staples or something sticking out of him, obviously no fur left, and stuffed with what appears to be sawdust.  I think he is homemade, maybe by my great grandma.  I really have no idea.  When I was little, we would go visit my Great Uncle Doug, and 1 time I must have looked particularly uncomfortable sitting quietly while my mom visited with him because he went into the dark basement and found this for me to play with and told me to keep it.  When I got it, it looked just the same as now.  I can't get rid of it because it's this random link to the past/my Uncle Doug.  I always feel a little sad when I seem him, but he needs love, not a trip to the dump.

There you have it-my celebration of old stuff before I figure out all the new job stuff and go crazy for a couple of weeks.  There may be wailing and gnashing of teeth, but I will try to handle a load of new all at once with some degree of grace...and to not make my sweet family suffer too much just because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment