Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Little Things

It's funny, the moments that put a zing of full on joy into my day, even when that day has been otherwise kickin my butt.  I don't want to forget these times.

Shawn - the sound of his sturdy body swishing down the stairs at warp speed on his tummy, feet first, because he has important things to do.  Making me snap out of work concentration. asking me if I am going to hold his hand so he can take me downstairs to see the house he built.

Ben - the excitement he has to count down to the next big event, a bday, a party, etc.  how his face shows that extra hint of concentration as he focuses to get each word clearly understood.  His generosity, his easygoing ness.  His beautiful, tender heart that wants so much for everyone to be safe and to be an equal team member with his older sibs.  Oh, how I love how he treats Daphne.  He gets concerned if she is alone in a room or sad and brings her where she can see others.  He 'walks' her places or pushes her in a laundry basket with her sitting regally like the Queen.

Matt - the sheer amount of facts his brain absorbs so effortlessly and seems to never let go of.  How his imagination with his stuffed animals is like mine was.  His precious high clear true little boy voice obsessively singing his fav Christmas song from music class.  Hearing him creep into our room at night to get his inhaler treatment, knowing that he was struggling but we can provide what his lungs need to relax and breathe easier once again.

Lily - her not being ashamed to participate in classes and answer questions.  I was like that too.  Her offer to give back and neck rubs.  Her choice to come home rather than go to a movie that would have not been uplifting, even though she wanted to be cool.

I love to be their mom.  I get a bit discouraged when some moms trump on about how being a mom is easy, asking why some women pretend like it's hard.  I think it is hard, so worth it but so challenging. No breaks = hard.  Not knowing if they truly hear = hard.  Pee...poop...everywhere = gross = hard to stomach.  So.much.noise.and.energy in the life of a quiet country girl loner = hard.  BUT, BUT there are so many moments that take my breath away or make me laugh at the cleverness OR the absurdity OR the quirkiness.  Seeing so many parts of life through my children's eyes makes blah look kind of brilliant.  Jesus knew what He was talking about when he spoke of and blessed the little children.  He'd even bless eye rollers, pouters, screamers, and pants poopers, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment