Friday, April 25, 2014

Pinewood Derby

So last night was Matt's first Pinewood Derby (and my only pic is on Lucas's phone, darnit).  It was the most fun Cub Scout thing I've ever been to, although I will say his leaders do a great job always.  Apparently since directions weren't expressly given in bold and people don't know how to read boxes, some parents (read dads who never made it to the NFL and so compensate through wooden car races) went over board and added all sorts of cheats to their sons' cars.  I did not think this would really happen in real life because it's about the boys, right?  right???  So the leaders had to make it a no places race, meaning all the boys got to race 6 times regardless of if they won or lose their heat and that was that.  Then all the boys got awards.  From our family's perspective it was perfect (and done in an hour!!! oh my short attention span), simply because sensitive boys hearts weren't broken.  They all seemed to cheer and have fun.  The leaders were even so smart as to set up a separate area in the back of the gym with car mats/quilts and tracks and lots of cars, so wee ones could play and play.  Worked like a charm.  I will not forget Shawn, after it was all officially over, but boys were still racing cars on the track, as he stood next to the track cheering on one race, jumping as high as he could, shaking his fists in excitement and yelling, GO! GO! GO!  My hot dude was the official lever? puller.  Pretty cool, right?

P.S.  My Dear Husband assured me that if anyone has read a lot of my posts I fudge up and mention real names, so I might as well use real names, SO maybe I will...more often than I already do.  Neener-nanner.

P.P.S.  Lil and her friend, Rachel, just tromped into the house as they are playing and want to be "poised", and so Lil got on a dress and did her hair (first time all week, praise be!) as Rachel had already gotten poised at her house and now they are off again.  Apparently you are never too old to play dress up.  Good to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment