Sunday, September 12, 2010

L's Big Day

Well, the day L has been waiting for finally arrived... yes, today was her birthday. It is hard to imagine that 7 years have gone by since L came into our lives, yet there we were, the five of us gathered around the table singing Happy Birthday (technically 4 of us were singing, L was holding in as much air as her lungs could hold in anticipation of blowing out candles).

As today was Sunday, we kept things rather low key, but we did take everyone to the YMCA yesterday to go swimming per the birthday girl's request. I think she had a pretty good day, all in all. She seemed to receive a cornucopia of presents from her loving family and got to talk to loving grandparents and aunts. Otherwise, she spent the day with M coloring and painting with her new art supplies and taking pictures with her camera.

Marianne made a fantastic rainbow cake decorated with a variety of frosting flowers... again per L's request. As the birthday boy or girl gets to pick their dinner on their special day, I was expecting something in the realm of pasta, but our ever growing 7 year old threw a change up and went for nachos; who would have guessed?

Other than the celebrating, it was a nice quiet day and we enjoyed hearing from all of the family. A couple of side stories that Marianne and I found rather humorous. While we we are the the YMCA swimming, L talked M into going down the curvy water slide, which he finally did. I couldn't see M as he went down the slide (keep in mind that Marianne was at the bottom to catch him), but the place was filled with his terrified and high-pitched screams. Apparently, he didn't like the turns. Perhaps that sounds cruel, but knowing he was safe the whole time, Marianne and I found the situation pretty funny.

Also, I finally had a change to cut M's hair tonight. It had been a while and his hair was starting to get pretty wild. M did fantastic and B was so interested in what was going on that he pushed a chair over to have a better inspection. As soon as I finished up with M and sent off in the direction of the bath tub, B climbed up into the chair and gave me the "my turn" look. It hadn't been my plan to cut his hair tonight (due to the aforementioned couch diving injury) but as he was there, I figure why not? B let me cut his hair with no problems and I sent him off to the tub for his bath as well. After he was all clean and dried off, he came downstairs and gave me a hug as if to say thanks. Not bad for a 1 1/2 year old!

Well, that said, good night and Happy 7th Birthday, L!

1 comment:

  1. I like having you author some posts. I love reading your perspective of things. Ben does confuse me, but he was way cute last night-how he wanted to be part of it and acted kind of "grown up" in how he got his haircut.

    ReplyDelete