Monday, October 23, 2017

Lily Update, or Lilifred or Lillers

Her brothers might as well call her The Terminator.  Let's talk about Lily.  She is now 14.  Let's just say her mom and dad worry about her in a lot of ways.  And she's a great kid, so I don't know why.  I think it has to do with her being oldest (and me being youngest maybe).  I have no idea.  But every more experienced mom I talk to raves about her and says she will grow up to be a great woman.  And I love her lots.  I just feel like an odd mom because my mom always thought I could do no wrong (but maybe that's more in hindsight she sings my praises).  I know we had disagreements, and I was a rotten teen sometimes, and she would ignore me or go on drives to get away from me, but she always said I was beautiful and thin (ha!) and bragged about me.  I just feel more critical than my mom, and I try not to be, but I always things Lily could do this better, or try harder or be more clean, but even if she stayed as she is forever, I love her lots.  I try to bite my tongue when I ask myself would this be hurtful or helpful to say out loud and the answer is NOT HELPFUL.  Lily is so special to me.  She is the one who made me a mom and introduced me, with much fanfare, to a hyper little child who behaved much differently than I did as a child.  She blows me away with her continued willingness to keep trying and putting herself out there.  She blows me away with her confidence and her ability to speak up always, at home, school, church.  I love those things about her.  I love that even if she doesn't get to do high school sports (it is West Ada/Boise after all), she had the experience in middle school because that is a regret I have; I was too chicken.  There is NOTHING chicken about Lily!
She is desperate to reach 6" tall, but I think she might have to settle for a solid 5'11", bless her.  She is not shy about her height, but I will say I am in desperate need of finding longer shirts for my lanky lady.  She has played volleyball and is now starting basketball practice, B team both times, but wow has she improved since last year in volleyball.  I can't wait to see her on the basketball court.  Lucas and I keep telling her to save all her aggression that she uses on her bros when she's home and use it on the court.  She was a little too polite with other players last year.  
 Since her struggles with friends in 6th grade, she has really found her groove.  She stands up for who she is and her true friends respect that.  She doesn't have 1 posse all the time.  She kind of has sports friends, school lunch group, a neighborhood buddy and then church friends, but the variety seems to do her good.
 This year, Lily really has done excellently in her school work.  If she does poorly on an assignment she takes the initiative and retakes it.  She is doing all of this without us having to push her along, and it is FANTASTIC!  She has improved academically by leaps and bounds, and I knew it was in there all along. 
At home, Lily divides her time between texting friends, being the most helpful delightful daughter known to mankind, teasing her brothers and fighting with them, bossing all the kids around, and showing her mom and dad the appropriate amount of 14 year old attitude.  Yes, she definitely has many different skills.  As one would guess, I like when she is considerable and helpful, but no one is perfect, and she is even pretty good about several chores she used to avoid...like the smelly litter box.  

I am so thankful for Lily.  It is still hard to believe that a year or two ago she was just a little girl.  She hardly seems recognizable compared to her old pictures.  Her YW leader said when she was at Disneyland she saw a lady about 10 years older than Lily who could have been Lily's doppelganger.  She said she was elegant, gorgeous and that Lily is headed that way too.  I am so thankful for 'the village' of teachers, leaders and friends her are part of Lovely Lily's support system because there is always 15, 16, 17, and 18 to look forward to, and with her being my first child, who knows what delights await us.

No comments:

Post a Comment