Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Home Depot Platinum Member

Hey, there's supposed to be a fence there!  This is the section that was completely ruined, but we decided to do basically the whole fence along that side of our property as it was kind of pathetic in spots.
I've come to realize by now that fix the fence Monday is really fix the fence week...but it will be awesome when it's done.  I've made so many trips to Home Depot (despite excellent planning) that it's, "Hello, carbon emissions, goodbye only having to fuel up the old minivan once a month or so."  It's times like these a truck would be handy, but you must admire my loading job at the upper right.  I have some kind of closet machismo that comes out at times like these.  I like to try to carry all the heavy stuff, do lots of manual labor and "be a real man".  I think it stems from trying to impress my dad when I was little.  The Husband, meanwhile, found out that jackhammers aren't as fun as they look.  He and an awesome friend from church used one for 4 hours Monday, and it never looked like they were having too swell of a time.  I hope our friend is still our friend after all that work.  I knew I didn't want to try the jackhammer out because of how heavy it felt when I was dragging it out of the back of the minivan.

As an aside, some weirdo in a pickup truck is "walking" his dog slowly down our street again and again. 

Anyway, on the mothering kids front, our kids have been babysat a little, left to watch a movie a little and have helped a little with the fence this week. It's school countdown time for us...L starts in 5 days and M in 14. They are very ready to be back. I am glad I have kids who are still pumped for it, and I hope that's always the case. L decided to be a poser today.  She is still in the stage where her candid smiles are so much cuter and more sweet that her planned ones...though maybe that's how it is with all of us.



M, the car obsessed, has taken up coloring as an actually enjoyable activity in the last week...which is a rare feat for all the boys I know.  Sure, he is just coloring cars instead of playing with them, but it's still coloring.

And B...he has had a rough week, being almost too ill to bite and pinch, etc.,...Note, I said ALMOST too ill.  On observing him this week, I've noticed as soon as M does something B doesn't like, B opens his mouth wide (the better to do a great bite with) and sticks his arms out wide (the better to get a good hold on his victim so that the bite can inflict more damage).  I am praying it's a stage.  He doesn't do it in church at nursery-just at home with M and Mom.  He sits dutifully in a time out afterwards but then just does it again the next time things don't go his way, so if anyone has any effective disciipline for this situation, let me know.  Sick or well, he can always feel the rhythm and is a serious dancer to anything from a waltz to hip-hop.  He will stop throwing a fit or even in the midst of attack plans just so he can dance.

I am off to clean all day long to make up for being a tough guy the last few days.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Still it is coloring? Really? Cars - cars - at least we know that M has a theme. I have decided instead of a valet, he may just be a truck driver or a patrol officer -a job with a car that he gets to drive and arrange...I'm just saying.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still holding out for him to have some kind of serious education, but whatever makes him happy and supports a family I guess. Yes, though, I will be shocked if it doesn't involve cars somehow. He is very into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about putting Bittersweet on your arm? Only in the time that you know he's in a very bitty mood, might teach him a lesson and he won't be keen to bite again...

    ReplyDelete